Home > All Posts > Sort by Topic
Topic #1120

flickr viewer movie

By David Wolf | David Wolf <dpwolf@...> | dpwolf3000
September 7, 2004 | Post #1120 | Topic #1120

Hello all, I've just put up a little Quicktime movie on my blog that lets you search for images from http://www.flickr.com a photo sharing site. http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~dpwolf/blogarchive/000249.html When users upload their photos they mark them up with metadata tags. These tags are searchable from the site and each has a RSS or ATOM feed associated with it. This movie lets you enter a tag and view the 10 most recent uploads for that term. The movie loads the images based on the contents of an RSS feed. I wonder how long it will be until similar sites pop up for video hosting/organisation/linking/social networking. It would be fairly simple to make a movie that accesses such as site if they used RSS + enclosure. The developers and marketing people at flickr seem to have a very good idea of what they are doing, it is so easy to upload pictures and it is addictive. The site seems to be growing very fast but it scares me a little that it is one company with one product. I can only use it to make contact with other flickr users. That's what's cool about videoblogging at the moment, people are putting up video on servers all over the place with different blogging engines and different media formats. It will be cool when ourmedia.org is up and running, I hope they take some hints from sites like flickr cheers Dave http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~dpwolf/blog/ [View]



Re: [videoblogging] flickr viewer movie

By Jay Dedman | Jay Dedman <jay@...> |
September 7, 2004 | Post #1121 | Topic #1120

> I wonder how long it will be until similar sites pop up for video > hosting/organisation/linking/social networking. It would be fairly > simple to make a movie that accesses such as site if they used RSS + > enclosure. > That's what's cool about videoblogging at the moment, people are > putting up video on servers all over the place with different blogging > engines and different media formats. youre exactly correct. we're in a very free time in videoblogging since there are no companies just yet who are commercializing this. so we're making it up. what we need are the tools to so what we want. so how do we make videos togther? Andreas made a great "proof of concept" tool with Video comments. he's working on Part II using pingbacks(though few servers support pingbacks right now so we need to do some convincing). but i like your idea of using RSS and enclosures..how would that work? could you make a playlist using this method? -- Jay Dedman Manhattan Neighborhood Network 537 West 59th NY NY 10019 212 757 2670 ext.312 http://www.mnn.org [View]



Re: [videoblogging] flickr viewer movie

By Lisa Harper | Lisa Harper <lisah2u@...> | lisah2u
September 8, 2004 | Post #1129 | Topic #1120

--0-526667095-1094643685=:49325 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii It's a neat idea. It all comes back to metadata.... and people using it. Lisa David Wolf <dpwolf@...> wrote: Hello all, I've just put up a little Quicktime movie on my blog that lets you search for images from http://www.flickr.com a photo sharing site. http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~dpwolf/blogarchive/000249.html When users upload their photos they mark them up with metadata tags. These tags are searchable from the site and each has a RSS or ATOM feed associated with it. This movie lets you enter a tag and view the 10 most recent uploads for that term. The movie loads the images based on the contents of an RSS feed. I wonder how long it will be until similar sites pop up for video hosting/organisation/linking/social networking. It would be fairly simple to make a movie that accesses such as site if they used RSS + enclosure. The developers and marketing people at flickr seem to have a very good idea of what they are doing, it is so easy to upload pictures and it is addictive. The site seems to be growing very fast but it scares me a little that it is one company with one product. I can only use it to make contact with other flickr users. That's what's cool about videoblogging at the moment, people are putting up video on servers all over the place with different blogging engines and different media formats. It will be cool... [View]



Re: [videoblogging] flickr viewer movie

By Adrian Miles | Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> | adrianlmiles
September 13, 2004 | Post #1151 | Topic #1120

On 08/09/2004, at 2:44 AM, David Wolf wrote: > 've just put up a little Quicktime movie on my blog that lets you > search for images from http://www.flickr.com a photo sharing site. > > http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/~dpwolf/blogarchive/000249.html > > When users upload their photos they mark them up with metadata tags. > These tags are searchable from the site and each has a RSS or ATOM feed > associated with it. This movie lets you enter a tag and view the 10 > most recent uploads for that term. The movie loads the images based on > the contents of an RSS feed. > this is very nice work, what David's done is get a QuickTime movie to read a RSS feed from a server on the basis of what a user asks in the movie. I'm not sure if it is what yoiu'd call a movie but it's a great demo of what QuickTime can actually do, and points the way to the sorts of things than can be built: a movie that reads data and assembles a movie on that basis. cheers Adrian Miles +++++++++++++++++++++ http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/ [View]



Re: [videoblogging] flickr viewer movie

By Andreas Haugstrup | "Andreas Haugstrup" <videoblog@...> | andreashaugstrup
September 14, 2004 | Post #1155 | Topic #1120

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:36:07 +1000, Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@...> wrote: > this is very nice work, what David's done is get a QuickTime movie to > read a RSS feed from a server on the basis of what a user asks in the > movie. I'm not sure if it is what yoiu'd call a movie but it's a great > demo of what QuickTime can actually do, and points the way to the sorts > of things than can be built: a movie that reads data and assembles a > movie on that basis. That's great. If it's set to read the most recent videos rss from videoblogging.info you can have a vogroll ordered by those who have posted last. :o) -- Personal: <http://www.solitude.dk&gt; File Thingie - PHP File Manager <http://www.solitude.dk/filethingie/&gt; [View]