Home > All Posts > Sort by Topic
Topic #1896

I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By courtwms777 | "courtwms777" <courtwms777@...> | courtwms777
November 21, 2004 | Post #1896 | Topic #1896

... and my own ignorance... As I scanned the last few messages, I came away with the word "Bittorent".... so.. I googled it... Then I thought it was Bit-To-Rent (which still didn't make sense to me... but whatever)... Then I saw it was Bittorrent (2 r's) on the actual website, although the URL still used only 1 'r'. Finally (after not being able to read German in the sign-in window that popped up), I returned to the group to reread the messages (looking for 'how-to-get-inside-Bittorrent') and found that it's all about "Bit Torrents"... still ... Huh? :-S Crap. I am clueless. What the heck is all this stuff? I'm barely just 'getting' RSS feeds. And if one can post video to the web 'for free', why does one need a TypePad account as opposed to Blogger? Perhaps there should be a 'kindergarten' for vlogging hopefuls.. and I'm completely ignorant of the majority of these terms and processes. Help me out people! Can't someone already in the know post a simple easy to follow (and as Deirdre suggested she might write a Video Blogging for Dummies guide) process? I know there's all kinds of already put out there bits.. but, man! Why can't someone just put it all in ... well... a how-to-vlog!?! ;-) I can't even sign my name to this post from embarrassment....so, it's a.k.a. Clueless [View]



Re: [videoblogging] I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Joshua Kinberg | Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> | joshkinberg
November 21, 2004 | Post #1898 | Topic #1896

You're right, this stuff ain't easy. You need to know how to shoot and edit video, compress and prepare video for web delivery considering various browsers, operating systems, and media players, know all about blogging and RSS, maybe even BitTorrernt, and I'm probably missing a few steps... But don't be frightened away because its actually fun stuff! First check this group's website at http://videoblogging.info. There are some great tutorials there. Right now there are several different methods of videoblogging. There is not one accepted standard. There are also many different types of weblogging software each with slightly different features and peculiarities (Blogger, TypePad, MovableType, WordPresss, etc). I find Blogger and TypePad to be a easier to get started with because they will host your site for you. But, they can be rather limiting for people who want to really customize the functionality of their weblog. So, those with some code experience usually opt for MovableType or WordPress, or something else that allows them to get a little dirty with the code. For videoblogging, there are some hosted video solutions that make it easier to upload video that just works on your blog. Check out M. Sean Gilligan's VBlogCentral (http://vblogcentral.com/) or Audioblog's new video service (http://www.audioblog.com/home/news.htm). These choices allow you to upload video using their service, and then they will create a small code snippet that you copy and past into your blog entry. This code makes the video appear in... [View]



Re: [videoblogging] I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Michael Manoochehri | Michael Manoochehri <michael@...> | mr_dont2001
November 21, 2004 | Post #1901 | Topic #1896

Don't worry Clueless, I think everybody here is trying to figure stuff out. But you are right, ok, one thing at a time. Relax! Posting videos is fun. However, I do think (and I am a heavy-duty techie) that video blogging is too hard to do for the non-tech. What I think really needs to be figured out, so we can tell new folks, non-techs, and even the press is probably: (a) "best format to post with" (some thing that EVERYBODY can use/watch) (b) A place to get started to easily post stuff (maybe http://vblogcenteral or something) (c) Explainations of simple jargon like: TrackBack and what a news feed is. > Help me out people! Can't someone already in the know post a simple > easy to follow (and as Deirdre suggested she might write a Video > Blogging for Dummies guide) process? I know there's all kinds of > already put out there bits.. but, man! Why can't someone just put it > all in ... well... a how-to-vlog!?! ;-) [View]



Re: [videoblogging] I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Jay dedman | Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> | kinshasa2000
November 21, 2004 | Post #1902 | Topic #1896

Clueless-- i just taught a girl i work with how to make her own video blog. we used Blogger.com, CC Publisher, and the Internet Archive. so its free this way. but there are also some extra steps involved versus just getting a typepad account. Ivettza is also very new to this stuff. 9hopefully she'll have some videos to show the group this week) if i wasnt teaching her in person, im not sure she would have gotten it. so youve given us a challenge to write up a real how-to for complete beginners. in the mean time...do you even have a blog yet? you should at least start posting text just to get the hang of it. write out all your frustrations. also, you still havent told us what kind of equipment do you have? PC or Mac? whta kind of camera...if one at all. start here: http://www.lisaharper.org/archives/2004/08/whats-so-cool-about-blogging/ Lisa Harper is a member of this group. she posts video using a cell phone. i havent heard from her in a while...but this is a good explainer. Jay On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:50:49 -0800, Michael Manoochehri <michael@...> wrote: > > Don't worry Clueless, I think everybody here is trying to figure stuff > out. But you are right, ok, one thing at a time. Relax! Posting videos > is fun. However, I do think (and I am a heavy-duty techie) that video > blogging is too hard to do for... [View]



Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Eric Rice | "Eric Rice" <eric@...> | audioblogdotcom
November 21, 2004 | Post #1903 | Topic #1896

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...> wrote: > For videoblogging, there are some hosted video solutions that make it > easier to upload video that just works on your blog. Check out M. Sean > Gilligan's VBlogCentral (http://vblogcentral.com/) or Audioblog's new > video service (http://www.audioblog.com/home/news.htm). These choices > allow you to upload video using their service, and then they will > create a small code snippet that you copy and past into your blog > entry. This code makes the video appear in your blog entry compressed > and ready to play in the browser. Hi folks, just wanted to help clear something up. To clarify, we don't *currently* have the video upload functionality with the Audioblog.com video tool (how's that for confusing naming? Heh). Most of the time there's no code snippet that needs to be cut and pasted. 90% of the time, it posts directly to any of the major blog software and hosting providers (free and otherwise). Hope that helps. Eric [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Joshua Kinberg | Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...> | joshkinberg
November 21, 2004 | Post #1904 | Topic #1896

Ooops, i should've known that Audioblog doesn't require code snippets... my bad. I've actually used the service to record audio posts from my phone, and even taught a high school class this summer how to do just that. Brain lapse, i guess... --Josh On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:55:35 -0000, Eric Rice <eric@...> wrote: > > > > > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@g...> wrote: > > > For videoblogging, there are some hosted video solutions that make it > > easier to upload video that just works on your blog. Check out M. Sean > > Gilligan's VBlogCentral (http://vblogcentral.com/) or Audioblog's new > > video service (http://www.audioblog.com/home/news.htm). These choices > > allow you to upload video using their service, and then they will > > create a small code snippet that you copy and past into your blog > > entry. This code makes the video appear in your blog entry compressed > > and ready to play in the browser. > > > Hi folks, just wanted to help clear something up. > > To clarify, we don't *currently* have the video upload functionality with the Audioblog.com > video tool (how's that for confusing naming? Heh). Most of the time there's no code > snippet that needs to be cut and pasted. 90% of the time, it posts directly to any of the > major blog software and hosting providers (free and otherwise). > > Hope that... [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Jay dedman | Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> | kinshasa2000
November 21, 2004 | Post #1905 | Topic #1896

> To clarify, we don't *currently* have the video upload functionality with >the Audioblog.com video tool (how's that for confusing naming? Heh). >Most of the time there's no code snippet that needs to be cut and >pasted. 90% of the time, it posts directly to any of the major blog >software and hosting providers (free and otherwise). so i clear... i can use the audioblog tool to record "live" video. (so plug in a camera and capture myself talking.) but i cant edit avideo and use the tool to upload a video to my blog. correct? and if so, you planning on putting this functionalty in? Jay ps...is steve's mother going to start videolbogging with this tool? [View]



Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Deirdré Straughan | =?iso-8859-1?q?Deirdr=E9_Straughan?= <lists@...> | deirdrebs2002
November 21, 2004 | Post #1908 | Topic #1896

Courtney, I have posted a quick-n-dirty list of steps re. my current video= posting routine at http://www.straughan.com/vlog/041030.html Note that wha= t I'm doing is quite different from most in this group, since I'm using Fla= sh and a regular website, not QuickTime or a blog. To my way of thinking, = the point is to have fun with it! best regards, Deirdr=C3=A9 Straughan h= ttp://www.straughan.com [View]



Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Jay V Black | Jay V Black <finyc@...> | jobs4harlemyouth
November 22, 2004 | Post #1916 | Topic #1896

I too would appreciate a step-by-step manual (downloadable ebook) or demonstration videoblog. A mock vlog with glossary terms for each component. And a service guide to various videoblogging host and tools thats categoried by end users skill level(beginner, immediary, guru). Also, with the ebook manual you include practice exercises to help get beginners up and running. Other suggestions: Video capturing equipment guide Listing videophones, digicams and webcams that are ideal for videoblogging(mp4 vs avi format) Also, indicate if videoblogging services and tools are free or not. If someone could provide the content, I be happily willing to assemble it. It would be great marketing tool to recruit new members. Subject: Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha! Don't worry Clueless, I think everybody here is trying to figure stuff out. But you are right, ok, one thing at a time. Relax! Posting videos is fun. However, I do think (and I am a heavy-duty techie) that video blogging is too hard to do for the non-tech. What I think really needs to be figured out, so we can tell new folks, non-techs, and even the press is probably: (a) "best format to post with" (some thing that EVERYBODY can use/watch) (b) A place to get started to easily post stuff (maybe http://vblogcenteral or something) (c) Explainations of simple jargon like: TrackBack and what a news feed is. > Help me out people! Can't someone already in the know post a simple >... [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha!

By Jay dedman | Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> | kinshasa2000
November 22, 2004 | Post #1917 | Topic #1896

i recently wroteup a how-to: http://momentshowing.typepad.com/momentshowing/2004/11/how_to_make_a_v.html tell me if it makes sense. im down with making a better videologging tutorial. even a video. but its a little overwhelming because of different variations. there are so many different ways to do it. (juyst like there's so many kinds of videoblogs) it all depends on what kind of computer you have, if you have edit software, what kind, the camera you have, if you have ablog, a server.... Sean Gilligan of vblog central understands the need for an all-in-one service which he is working on. Ive seen his plans and he gets it. its just a matter of time. but you can do it now. Jay On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:07:04 -0500, Jay V Black <finyc@...> wrote: > > > I too would appreciate a step-by-step manual > (downloadable ebook) or demonstration videoblog. > A mock vlog with glossary terms for each component. > And a service guide to various videoblogging host and > tools thats categoried by end users skill level(beginner, immediary, > guru). Also, with the ebook manual you > include practice exercises to help get beginners up > and running. > > Other suggestions: > Video capturing equipment guide > Listing videophones, digicams and webcams > that are ideal for videoblogging(mp4 vs avi format) > > Also, indicate if videoblogging services and tools > are free or not. > > If someone could provide the content, I be... [View]



Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Michael Manoochehri | "Michael Manoochehri" <michael@...> | mr_dont2001
November 22, 2004 | Post #1918 | Topic #1896

Perhaps we should create an online manual that everybody can add their knowledge to - maybe on videoblogging.info? We can post what we know as comments on a blog, or a forum, or even better use a web page that everybody can edit and add to - (these are known on the web as wikis!) Is there already something like this running somewhere? Maybe I can set up a videoblogging manual or wiki, then after a while, we can take the responses and make a PDF or, um eBook for people who want it in that format? - Michael > I too would appreciate a step-by-step manual > (downloadable ebook) or demonstration videoblog. > A mock vlog with glossary terms for each component. > And a service guide to various videoblogging host and > tools thats categoried by end users skill level(beginner, immediary, > guru). Also, with the ebook manual you > include practice exercises to help get beginners up > and running. > > Other suggestions: > Video capturing equipment guide > Listing videophones, digicams and webcams > that are ideal for videoblogging(mp4 vs avi format) > > Also, indicate if videoblogging services and tools > are free or not. > > If someone could provide the content, I be happily > willing to assemble it. It would be great marketing > tool to recruit new members. > > > > Subject: Re: I laugh.. Ha Ha! > >... [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Andreas Haugstrup | "Andreas Haugstrup" <videoblog@...> | andreashaugstrup
November 22, 2004 | Post #1919 | Topic #1896

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:52:51 -0800 (PST), Michael Manoochehri <michael@...> wrote: > Perhaps we should create an online manual that everybody can add their > knowledge to - maybe on videoblogging.info? It's beyond the goal of the videoblogging.info site. Videoblogging.info is meant as a more polished way into videoblogging. :o) But fear not! Peter put up a videoblogging wiki a long long time ago (way before videoblogging.info). It's at <URL:http://www.me-tv.org/&gt; but it looks like the database is temporarily dead. There is some good information there (once it gets working again). - Andreas -- <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/&gt; Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology. [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Jay dedman | Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> | kinshasa2000
November 22, 2004 | Post #1921 | Topic #1896

> It's beyond the goal of the videoblogging.info site. Videoblogging.info is > meant as a more polished way into videoblogging. :o) > > But fear not! Peter put up a videoblogging wiki a long long time ago (way > before videoblogging.info). It's at <URL:http://www.me-tv.org/&gt; but it > looks like the database is temporarily dead. There is some good > information there (once it gets working again). i agree with andreas. the videoblogging.info site is for our finished work. articles. videos. tools. (andreas...we should put up the tools youve made) projects. and an FAQ (im working on this) Peter did create a Wiki a while ago...then no one really used it. but now is the time. Peter...youre the wiki expert. ( a WIKI is just a website that anyone can edit...) lets start another one. Jay [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Steve Garfield | Steve Garfield <steve@...> | sgarfield
November 22, 2004 | Post #1923 | Topic #1896

How about starting a page on the Wikipedia? Podcasting already has one and we can look to it as a guide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting Notice the HOW-TO section... On Nov 22, 2004, at 2:20 PM, Jay dedman wrote: > Peter did create a Wiki a while ago...then no one really used it. > but now is the time. > Peter...youre the wiki expert. > ( a WIKI is just a website that anyone can edit...) > lets start another one. --------- [ Web Sites ] --------- Steve Garfield Video Production http://stevegarfield.com Video Blog http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/ Weblog: Off On A Tangent http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/ Video Podcast http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videopodcast/ [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Jay dedman | Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> | kinshasa2000
November 22, 2004 | Post #1924 | Topic #1896

> How about starting a page on the Wikipedia? > Podcasting already has one and we can look to it as a guide: > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting > Notice the HOW-TO section... this is a great idea. how do we get a page? [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Andreas Haugstrup | "Andreas Haugstrup" <videoblog@...> | andreashaugstrup
November 22, 2004 | Post #1925 | Topic #1896

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:20:30 -0500, Jay dedman <jay.dedman@...> wrote: > tools. (andreas...we should put up the tools youve made) > projects. I'd like them to get a to more finished state first. :o) And you already gave me a to-do list the site of a Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit to do. I'll get to that stuff first. :p - Andreas -- <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/&gt; Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology. [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Steve Garfield | Steve Garfield <steve@...> | sgarfield
November 22, 2004 | Post #1926 | Topic #1896

i think anybody can why does videoblogging have 2 g's On Nov 22, 2004, at 4:10 PM, Jay dedman wrote: > >> How about starting a page on the Wikipedia? >> Podcasting already has one and we can look to it as a guide: >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting >> Notice the HOW-TO section... > > this is a great idea. > how do we get a page? > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > --------- [ Web Sites ] --------- Steve Garfield Video Production http://stevegarfield.com Video Blog http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/ Weblog: Off On A Tangent http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/ Video Podcast http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videopodcast/ [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Shannon Noble | Shannon Noble <sn@...> | sh7nnon
November 22, 2004 | Post #1927 | Topic #1896

Steve.... Count again. It has 3 g's. VideobloGGinG. 8^) On 11/22/04 2:53 PM, "Steve Garfield" <steve@...> wrote: > > i think anybody can > > why does videoblogging have 2 g's > > On Nov 22, 2004, at 4:10 PM, Jay dedman wrote: > >> >>> How about starting a page on the Wikipedia? >>> Podcasting already has one and we can look to it as a guide: >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting >>> Notice the HOW-TO section... >> >> this is a great idea. >> how do we get a page? >> >> >> >> >> Yahoo! Groups Links >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > --------- [ Web Sites ] --------- > Steve Garfield Video Production > http://stevegarfield.com > > Video Blog > http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videoblog/ > > Weblog: Off On A Tangent > http://offonatangent.blogspot.com/ > > Video Podcast > http://stevegarfield.blogs.com/videopodcast/ > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > --This is Vlog: http://x.nnon.tv/ [View]



Re: [videoblogging] Videoblogging manual forum or wiki?

By Andreas Haugstrup | "Andreas Haugstrup" <videoblog@...> | andreashaugstrup
November 22, 2004 | Post #1928 | Topic #1896

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:53:40 -0500, Steve Garfield <steve@...> wrote: > why does videoblogging have 2 g's Because logging does? We need a grammar expert. More specifically - videoblogging has three g's. ;o) - Andreas -- <URL:http://www.solitude.dk/&gt; Commentary on media, communication, culture and technology. [View]



2 g's

By Michael Manoochehri | "Michael Manoochehri" <michael@...> | mr_dont2001
November 22, 2004 | Post #1929 | Topic #1896

Let's all go videobloggin' (2 g's) [View]